Frequently Asked Questions
- Who do I contact in case of an extreme emergency?
Please find a member of the Conference Management Centre (CMC) or Organising Committee (OrgComm). You may contact us on our Emergency Numbers, +27 83 7007 857 (OrgComm) or +27 79 568 5717 (CMC).
- Where is the nearest hospital?
There is a public hospital called Groote Schuur Hospital which is the closest hospital to the University. There is a private hospital which is in Claremont called Kingsbury Hospital. There a Paramaedic on duty at all events. Please see the maps below for direction to either hospital.
- What do I do if I find lost property or have lost an item?
The Information Desk will be station in the Baxter Hall TV Room (Lower Campus) or the Molly Blackburn Building (Upper Campus). The Information Desk will hold items during the day and will hand all items then to campus security, where lost property is managed either at the campus security hut (Bernage) next to the Lower Campus Bus Stop or in the Basement Floor of the Leslie Social Science Building.
- How do I issue an Equity Complaint?
Equity Complaints can be issues in person to a member of the Equity Team or via email email@example.com.
- If I have an issue or request about the tournament what do I do?
Please approach your nearest volunteer or visit the Help Desk.
- Will transportation be provided from the airport to the hotel?
Yes. Transportation from the airport will be provided on arrivals days. WUDC Banners and Volunteers will be stationed at the airport to assist participants.
- Will participants have WiFi access during the tournament? Yes. These will be issued at registration. Students belonging to Eduroam Affiliated Universities, should automatically login with their university WiFi credentials.
- Where will accommodation be located?
University of Cape Town's Lower Campus.
- Where will debating rounds and general announcements take place? University of Cape Town's Upper Campus, at Memorial Hall (renamed Sarah Baartmen Hall, previously called Jameson Hall).
- Will there be transportation from the accommodation to where the rounds are taking place?
Yes. Using the University's branded Jammie Shuttles.
- Beneficiary’s Bank Name?
Standard Bank of South Africa
- Beneficiary’s Bank Address?
Standard Bank Centre, 1st Floor, Tyger Manor Branch, 309 Durban Road, Belville, 7530, Cape Town, South Africa
- Beneficiary’s Name?
Conference Management 12
- Beneficiary’s Address?
Conference Management Centre, Lovers Walk, Level One, Room 146.20, Bremner Building, UCT Lower Campus, 7700, Cape Town, South Africa
South Africa does not use IBAN, use the SWIFT code instead.
- National Account Number?
- Branch Code?
- Routing Number/Universal Branch Code?
- Phone Number?
+27 21 406 6348
- I don't have an invoice?
Please follow the link in the allocation email to confirm your slots and generate an invoice.
- Transferwise won't let me put numbers in the name?
Use Conference Management WUDC
- My credit card payment won't go through?
Check that you have authorization from your bank.
- Can I pay in a currency other than ZAR?
We only provide invoices in ZAR - you can pay in any currency accepted by our Bank - however make sure that you are converting correctly and you take into account bank charges.
- What are the current forex rates?
Standard Bank Online Forex Indication Rates
- Can I have an extension?
You better have a really good reason since our extension deadline was the 18th of March.
- I paid but I am not on the list?
If you paid this week it probably has not reflected yet. Also SA banks are closed for the Easter holidays which will lead to delays in the processing. We will release a new list next week. Or check that you didn't use a vague reference (our unknowns are in the previous sheet).
- My payment won't go through for "x" reason?
We're not monsters - please send us an email and we will grant you a small extension while we determine what is happening.
- Will there be water for WUDC?
Yes. Though persons are encouraged to use water sparingly.
- I need a Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment (B-BBEE) certificate for my University.
- You can find the University of Cape Town's B-BBEE certificate at https://www.uct.ac.za/main/about/finance/compliance-certs-bank-accounts which includes the University's B-BBEE Accreditation and 2018 Compliance Certificate.
- OMG I'm going through the most!
Relax. Calm down. Have yourself a glass of Pinotage. Phone Janet Sirmongpong on +27 21 406 6348 between 9am and 5pm SAST.